Steps to Placing a Classified Ad in the Newspaper or Online
What is a Classified Ad?
A Classified Ad is one of the shortest forms of advertising. This typically makes placing a classified ad much cheaper than other types of ads.
Historically people think of Newspapers when they think of Classified ads. While this is still true today, Google Ads and many other online sites like Facebook also offer a type of opportunity to place a classified ad also. A key point to consider is that the ads that are run on Facebook Marketplace and in your feeds are types of classified ads refashions for social media platforms.
Here is some info on how to place a classified ad in the newspaper or online.
Firstly, If you need to place a Classified Ad or a Display ad in an Online Publication, Newspaper, or Magazine and you are not sure of what steps you need to take to do.
Steps to Placing a Classified Ad in a Newspaper
Determining the Newspaper to place your Classified Ad in
- Before doing anything else, determine the area where your ad needs to run. This may be your city, state, or in some cases, ads will run in nationwide papers.
- Secondly, You can contact the paper directly, or you can reach out to an agency that specializes in placing Classified Ads or Displaying Advertising
Writing your ad
- Third, Write your ad (see additional information on what information to include below)
- Next, Determine which days you will need your ad to run. This may be a certain number of days or weekends.
Quoting and Approval
- Then, Ask for a quote.
- Next you will need to approve the ad or to reduce the length of your ad, you may abbreviate whenever necessary.
- Lastly, Submit or confirm ad placement to run (ask for proof so that you can see how the ad will appear in the newspaper.)
Documentation and Proofs
- Finally, You can also request tear sheets after the ad has run.
Additionally, if you would like more information on how to place a Classified ad in a Newspaper and you are still not sure of what steps you need to take to do so please see this additional post.
Publication Placement of Classified Ads in Newspapers and in online publications
Keep in mind that when you are ready to place your Classified ad in the Newspaper or in another online publication, don’t forget to ask about placement options.
Furthermore, the placement of your advertisement can also play a big part in getting more attention.
Choosing your heading
For most publications, ads are placed under the appropriate heading or category. This is important so that the targeted audience easily finds them. In some cases where there may be a ” gray area” as to what type of advertisement something is.
In these cases, your ad may be able to run under multiple headings. Something else to consider is that, when possible, request to have your ad placed in the upper right-hand corner of the ad when running in the newspaper.
Why this matters
This is because when people read, their eyes naturally go from top to bottom and view the right page first. Some publications allow this depending on their category constraints. However many other publications do not.
A key point to consider is it is worth it to ask as there can also be an opportunity to bolding or borders as well.
Keep in mind it never hurts to open up a conversation with your rep about suggestions that they may have to give your advertisement the most opportunity for exposure. If you would like to place a ad please contact us !
If you are interested in placing in USA Today reach out to us on our sister site Russell Johns.